Ceiling Fan Wiring Help For Dummies

Old 05-06-04, 10:39 AM
Karl2bdc
Visiting Guest
Ceiling Fan Wiring Help For Dummies

Ok, this is the current setup. 2 switches in on box on the wall. Switch 1 (S1) controls an outlet on the wall. Switch 2 (S2) controls the ceiling fixture. S2 has two wires attached to it. A black wire and a red wire. Out of the ceiling fixture, there is a single red wire, white wires in a group, black wires in a group and a single bare ground wire. The ceiling fan with light has the standard blue, black, white, and green ground wire. My question is how do i wire this thing up, as the red wire is throwing me off? If i connect blue to red, the blacks to black, whites to white, and ground to ground, i have power only to the light fixture using switch S2. I want to leave it so that S2 controls the ceiling fan and light (i will use the pull strings to turn on and off the fan or lights). There was no light fixture in the ceiling, it was just pre-wired so you could hang a fan. Any ideas?

Thanks
Karl

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-04, 11:29 AM
Many (most?) people would want the switch to control only the fan's light, and then turn on the fan with the pull chain. This is most convenient if you ever run the fan when the light is off.

However, that's not what you want.

Simply connect the fan's blue wire and the fan's black wire both to the red wire in the ceiling. Connect nothing from the fan to the ceiling black wires (but leave them connected to each other). Connect the fan's white wire in with the other white wires in the ceiling.

Options are available for separate wall control of the fan's motor and the fan's light if you are willing to invest about $40 in a smart wall switch.

Old 05-06-04, 11:40 AM
Karl2bdc
Visiting Guest
Awsome, thanks.