replacing existing ceiling fan/light fixture

Old 05-08-04, 03:26 PM
omah
Visiting Guest
Question replacing existing ceiling fan/light fixture

The house is 50 some years old with existing ceiling fan/light fixtures. One needs replacement due to broken parts. Can I just follow the installation instructions with the new one? or should I wire it the same as the one I need to replace? Omah

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-04, 03:39 PM
phillyguy
Visiting Guest
There's a couple of ways to wire a ceiling fan. On the fan itself there will probably be 4 wires. One green for the ground. White for neutral. And then 2 hot feeds , one black and one blue or red (usually) If the fan and light are controlled by the same switch the wire nut the blue or red and black leads to your hot feed (black), white goes to white, and green to bare copper. If there's 2 switches then the set up is a little different. The instructions should be able to guide you fairly well also. Make sure you turn the breaker off before you start working.

Old 05-10-04, 06:54 AM
When replacing a fixture with a similar fixture, wiring the new one like the old one is generally more successful than following the directions. That's because there's many different wiring situations you might encounter in the box, and the directions that come with fixtures assume you have only the simplest situation. But if you have no more or fewer wires in the box than those that the directions mention, then either approach will work.