Pulling up second floor subfloor to install lighting on first floor

Old 05-11-04, 04:56 AM
Hig
Visiting Guest
Question Pulling up second floor subfloor to install lighting on first floor

Hello,

I recently purchased a two story colonial that did not have any overhead lighting in the living room. I am replacing the carpeting on the second floor and thought I would take the opportunity to pull up the flooring and install some lighting in the living room.

I am pulling power to the middle of the upstairs bedroom from an switch on an inside wall. My thought was to pull up or cut the flooring over to the wall and running the wire down the wall and through the joists to the correct location. (one other piece of info is that I will have to cross multiple joists to do this not a straight shot).

Does anyone have any tips or cautionary tales of what I am getting into? I am concerned about how to get the flooring up and putting it back down without making a mess of it.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-04, 05:26 PM
Why dont you try fishing inside the walls to get the power you need in the ceiling{s}? It will save you some time & definately alot of aggrivation.More importantly what is the existing switch used for?,you dont want to overlaod the circuit. Can you run new lines from the panel? You may want to invest in a Diversibit {or similar} to allow you to drill thru blocking which is probably in the walls.Good luck,becareful.