Question about fluorescent lights

Old 05-25-04, 02:49 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question about fluorescent lights

Why do some flourescent lights state that they are not for enclosed fixtures? I'm speaking in particular to the ones that have a screw in base that replace an incandescent bulb.

Also, why do they say not to use these type of bulbs in photosensors? I have a post light in my front yard that has a sensor to turn it on when it gets dark, and I was thinking about putting a flourescent bulb in there.

Last edited by seezar; 05-25-04 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-25-04, 09:23 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure on the enclosed fixtures, but it may have to do something with the bulbs being larger than a regular bulb, putting the glass closer to the fixture.

As for the photosensor, this is something most people don't know. Flourescent lights are made to be turned on and left on, not constantly turned on and off. They use more electricity and burn out faster if they are cycled, which a photosensor may do (same with motion activated). The compact flourescents also have a 'warm up' time, it takes some of them several minutes to reach full brightness.

Old 05-25-04, 09:33 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pendragon
As for the photosensor, this is something most people don't know. Flourescent lights are made to be turned on and left on, not constantly turned on and off. They use more electricity and burn out faster if they are cycled, which a photosensor may do (same with motion activated). The compact flourescents also have a 'warm up' time, it takes some of them several minutes to reach full brightness.
Yeah, I was aware that Flourescent lights work best when they arent cycled often. As far as with a photosensor, the light would only be cycled twice a day, at least in my case. The light post the sensor is on only turns the light on when its quite dark out. But your reasoning does make sense why they would advise against it. I just want to make sure the reasoning isnt a safety issue. Since the light is going to be on for 8-10 hours a night, I thought a flourescent light would make sense since I could use a lower wattage bulb compared to an incandescent light. If anyone can think of another alternative I'd be interested to hear it. I'm looking for the brightest light possible from a fairly small wattage from the light post.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: