rewiring fan-light-light bathroom combo

Old 06-02-04, 11:43 AM
clovergirl17
Visiting Guest
Wink rewiring fan-light-light bathroom combo

I am totally new to this, but I am determined. Our bathroom two switches. Right now, the setup is as follows:
Switch 1: heat lamp
Switch 2: vanity lights, ceiling light, and fan

I want to change this to the following:
Switch 1: heat lamp, fan
Switch 2: vanities, ceiling light

Like I said, I have never done this before, so if I use incorrect terminology please forgive me. Behind the light plate I can see three incoming groups of wires (each with white, black and ground(?)) that go to the two switches. I rewire it so that switch one doesnt work and switch two does, and I can make a christmas tree light connection so that everthing is on and everything is dim. Other than that, I have had no success.

Please help!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-04, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It may or may not be possible. Probably not without running new cable in the walls.

Start by telling us how many individual units this is. For example, are the ceiling light and fan in one integrated unit?

After that, we're going to need you to describe the wiring in the switch box. This will require you to shut off the breaker, pull the switches out of the box without disconnecting anything (so you can clearly see behind the switches), and describe all wires and all connections. Actually, I don't care how it is now. I need to know how it was originally.

Old 06-02-04, 12:43 PM
clovergirl17
Visiting Guest
I am not sure how "integrated" the fixtures are. They are all physically separate, but given the limited number of visible wires I am afraid that they are connected behind the wall somehow. I am just hoping there is a way to do this.

I hope I am explaining this well enough. There are 3 "groups" of wires, each consisting of a white, black, and skinny (green?) wire.

The skinny green wires are all pigtailed together.

The white wires are all pigtailed together.

Black wire 1 goes into the first switch, black wire 3 goes into the second switch. Two more wires come out of the switches, one from each, and come together to pigtail with black wire 2.

I hope this makes sense. I started trying different combos to see if i could isolate any of the fixtures, but I got scared that i would cross the wrong wires and implode my house, so I thought I'd get some advice first.

THANK YOU!!!

Old 06-02-04, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No amount of rewiring at the switch box is ever going to make it work the way you want. The problem is that you have one cable that goes from the switch box to the heat lamp, and a second cable that goes to the other things. You can't change that.

One way to get what you want is if you can run a new 12/2 cable between the heat lamp and the fan. If you can, let me know and I'll tell you what to do with it.