To upgrade or not to upgrade

Old 06-04-04, 06:46 PM
Malique
Visiting Guest
To upgrade or not to upgrade

Hello everyone,

I hope you guys can help me with this I am new to the forum and so far have found it very helpfull.

It is a beutiful day hope you are enjoying it. Well I just got back from my structural meeting with the builder for my new home. One of the upgrade options is 200amp electrical service from the standard 100 amp.

My question is should I go with the upgrade or leave it standard? Mind you I want to have central air, and maybe a second kitchen in the basement in the future. If any of you electricians or knowledgeble people can tell me if what i want to do in the future is ok to do with the standard 100 amp? or will I be risking a fire or something like that

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-04, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not knowing many details, I'd say that yes, you should upgrade. 200 amps is getting to be the standard for homes these days.

But the question really depends on a number of factors:
  • How many square feet the house is. A 3000 square foot house clearly needs more power than a 1000 square foot house.
  • Whether the following are gas or electric: home heat, water heat, clothes drying, cooking.
  • How many tons of air conditioning you will need.
  • Whether you will have a jacuzzi, a hot tub, a welder, a kiln, a spare freezer, a pool, a workshop, etc.
  • Future plans such as an expansion, an outbuilding, etc.

Hopefully the incremental cost is not more than a few hundred.

Old 06-05-04, 06:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Either way you decide make sure that there are empty slots on the panel for future additional circuits.

Old 06-05-04, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good point pcboss. Ask for a 40-space or 42-space panel. And while you're at it, ask about the panel brand and type. Get one for which your local home center sells breakers.