Dimmer not dimming

Old 06-07-04, 07:07 PM
investlt
Visiting Guest
Question Dimmer not dimming

The title says it all. This is the second dimmer switch I have installed that works for a while and then stops dimming. It is a single pole switch, two black wires and one green (ground) wire. Pretty basic stuff. My questions is, why would the dimmer stop working? Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-04, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dimmer switches are sensitive to overcurrent and voltage spikes. If the breaker trips with current through the dimmer, that will usually fry the dimmer. If the dimmer is asked to control more wattage than it is rated for, that may kill the dimmer too. The dimmer may also die if asked to control different kind of loads than it is designed for. For example, an incandenscent line voltage dimmer should only be used on incandescent lights. There are many kinds of dimmers for many kinds of loads.

Old 06-08-04, 03:50 AM
investlt
Visiting Guest
John,

Thanks for the reply. I will recheck the voltage rating of my dimmer before buying another one. Also, I found via a google search that the dimmer's inability to disapate its heat could also kill it. I might also look into putting a metal face plate on this particular dimmer to help in heat reduction.

Thanks again.

Old 06-08-04, 07:38 PM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
Check the wattage rating. You must get one that can control the amount of wattage you have in light. Higher wattage than needed is good. Lower wattage than the lights is no good.