Ceiling fan light doesn't work - Help please !!

Old 06-20-04, 04:50 PM
tara_n
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Ceiling fan light doesn't work - Help please !!

Hi,

We installed two fans in two bedrooms with light kits. There was a junction box with wall outlet switch already. The fans are working perfectly but the lights are not..

There were two wires coming from the fan motor - a black one and a white one. Per the light kit instruction, it said to connect it's blue wire to the fan's black and it's white one to fan's white one. There are no other wires to connect. Seemed straight forward.

The wall outlet has two switches - could that be the problem. This is a new house and there were no fixtures before.

What could be wrong - any help is appreciated...

Tara

Old 06-20-04, 06:02 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm going to start from the beginning.

There should have been four wires from the fan: a black wire, a white wire, a green wire, and a fourth wire that is either blue or black with a white stripe. If you fan has a remote control, it may just have the black, white and green. What do you have?

There should be at least three wires from the ceiling: a black, a white, and a bare. If the ceiling was prewired for a fan, there may also be a red wire. What do you have?

Does your fan have a remote control?

Old 06-20-04, 07:44 PM
tara_n
Visiting Guest
Hi,

From the fan - There was a black, green, blue & white.
From the ceiling - There are white, black & red and a green (ground)

No. There is no remote control.

I connected the fan wires to the ceiling wires - black to black, white to white, green ( ground to green) and red to blue.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Tara

Old 06-20-04, 08:27 PM
J
You did everything correctly.

So here are some ideas:
  • Make sure the light pull chain is on.
  • Make sure both wall switches are on.
  • Make sure the connections between the fan and its light kit (usually a little connector) are well connected.
  • If all that fails, turn off the breaker and check the wiring at the switches.

Old 06-21-04, 08:02 AM
QuickLearner
Visiting Guest
I had the same issue. When I checked the ceiling red wire with a voltage tester it turned out there was no power going through it. I ended up connecting both the black and blue wires from the fan to the ceiling black wire. Both the fan & light worked, although the wall switch powered them both so I need to use the chains to turn the fan & light on/off individually.

Old 06-21-04, 08:12 AM
J
It is common when prewiring for a fan to run a red wire up to the ceiling in addition to the black wire. But sometimes the red wire is not connected to any switch. If there is only one switch on the wall, the red wire is sometimes just left unconnected in the switch box. You can then get separate control of the light and fan by replacing the single switch with a duplex switch. However, in this case, the original poster said that there are two switches on the wall. Although still possible that the red wire would be left unconnected at the switch end, I would think it more common to go ahead and connect it to the switch. But it's a good idea to check.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: