overhead light

Old 06-23-04, 04:52 PM
Jenifer123
Visiting Guest
overhead light

Hi,
Advice greatly appreciated! I have a tiny 60 watt light bulb in the ceiling of my basement which doesn't give enough light to light up the room. I'm wondering if I can switch out the existing light fixture and install a track light or other sourch of light using the existing fixture? If so, is this something I can do myself or do I need to hire an electrician? I've gotten to be pretty handy around the house but I certainly don't want to fry myself, nor do I want to short out all of the electrical in the house! Any help, advise or words of wisdom will be received with much gratitude.
Thanks
Jen

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-04, 05:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your best bet is to install a fluorescent fixture. That will give you the most amount of light with the least chance of overloading the circuit.

It's always a good idea to make a list of everything already on the circuit so that you can tell what the risk is that you might overload it.

Is the light already switched, or does it operate with a pull chain? Is the basement finished or unfinished?

This is a project that would be within the skill of most homeowners.

Old 06-23-04, 05:21 PM
Jenifer123
Visiting Guest
thanks John!

Hi John,
Thanks for such a speedy reply! The current light is switched and the basement is finished, its just too dingy down there as it is now. The previous homeowner has all of the circuits clearly identified, which is nice and eliminates any guesswork. Thanks again,
Jen