Wiring Florescent light box

Old 06-25-04, 02:23 PM
Karl2bdc
Visiting Guest
Wiring Florescent light box

I am trying to wire in 2 seperate flourescent light fixtures into 1 view box. The two lights will be wired together, go to an on/off switch, and the whole assembly will plug into a standard outlet. Wiring is the problem i am having. there is a black wire and a white wire coming from each flourescent light. Anyone have any idea what wires i should run where? I hooked up the old school white to white, black to black, but that of course blew the breaker, so guess i am not going to get lucky like that. Any help would be appreciated.

Light Box Picture

Old 06-25-04, 02:29 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The cord should have three wires, a hot, a neutral, and a ground. It is important to correctly identify which is which. If you have any problems with that, let us know.

Connect the cord's hot wire to the black wire from both fixtures. Conenct the cord's neutral wire to the white wire from both fixtures. Connect the cord's grounding wire to the appropriate grounding connection on both fixtures.

In general, the old black-to-black and white-to-white is correct, but I cannot see the details of what you did so I don't know exactly why that didn't work for you.

Old 06-25-04, 02:37 PM
Karl2bdc
Visiting Guest
Ok, a little clearer, but how do i get the wires to the switch properly? (that is, what order i guess)

Old 06-25-04, 02:50 PM
J
What switch? Have you (tried to) installed a switch to control the receptacle? Does the switch have a black and white wire connected to it? If so, the switch creates a dead short between the hot and neutral, true? That's exciting. Was the receptacle already there before and you are just trying to make the receptacle switch-controlled?

Let me know if my guesses were correct and I'll tell you how to fix it.

Old 06-25-04, 03:20 PM
Karl2bdc
Visiting Guest
First off, this is a fresh build process, so all wiring is new.

Two bulbs (fixtures), with ballasts (came prewired with each fluorescent fixture). A switch to turn the unit on and off, and a cord going to a 3 prong electrical outlet. You can see the switch on my picture, it is mounted on the top of the box.

I want to be able to plug the light box into the wall outlet, and then when i want to turn on the light box, flip the switch on the box, etc

Old 06-25-04, 03:24 PM
Karl2bdc
Visiting Guest
The switch does have a black wire and a white wire, and a screw for a ground.

Old 06-25-04, 04:04 PM
Karl2bdc
Visiting Guest
Problem solved.

Old 06-25-04, 07:11 PM
J
Don't leave us hanging. Please explain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: