How to wire ceiling fixture?

Old 07-01-04, 06:25 AM
Beethoven
Visiting Guest
How to wire ceiling fixture?

OK. Finally got around to taking down that atrocious chandelier and am trying to put up a new fixture....Here is the wiring question....

From the ceiling I have 3 white wires (capped together), 3 black wires (capped together) and 1 red wire. The old fixture had both of its wires connected to the red wire. It worked, but that does not seem right.

The whole system is on a dimmer switch...not sure if that has something to do with it. No fan involved here. No ground wire either, so I assume I just hook up to the screw on the plate...

Anyway, how do I proceed?

Thanks,
Rich

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-04, 06:35 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you have a problem other than "that doesn't seem right"?

It is right. Connect the black wire(s) from your new fixture to the red wire in the ceiling. Connect the white wire(s) from you new fixture to the white wires in the ceiling. Connect nothing to the black wires in the ceiling, but leave them connected to each other.

Connect the grounding wire on the new fixture to the green screw on the mounting plate (it sounds like you said that there was such a screw).

Old 07-01-04, 06:47 AM
M
mgb
Are you sure about both fixture wires being connected to the red wire? It won't work that way. With the switch on, take a volt meter and check from the red to the whites, you should read somewhere around 120 volts. Then shut the switch off and check it again with the volt meter, you should read 0 volts. If these are the readings you got then you will need to connect the black wire from the fixture to the red wire. The white wire from the fixture needs to be connected to the 3 white wires. It sounds like old wiring if there isn't a ground wire or was conduit used?

Old 07-01-04, 09:18 AM
J
The old fixture had both of its wires connected to the red wire.
The literal interpretation of this sentence is so unrealistic that I ignored it, figuring I must have read it wrong. I was hoping he meant both of its black wires.

Old 07-01-04, 10:05 AM
Beethoven
Visiting Guest
Smile it worked!

Thanks guys....This web site was a real savior. I could've sworn that both wries from the original fixture were connected only to the single red wire from the ceiling....I must have been mistaken.

I did as you suggested, black to red and white to white, and ground to screw. All works well now!

This website is awesome!!!