Wiring multiple Recessed fixtures on 3 way

Old 07-05-04, 11:07 AM
MNToolGuy44
Visiting Guest
Wiring multiple Recessed fixtures on 3 way

Hi all, I know you can help me.
I want to put 8 recessed 4 " canisters (running 50 watt bulbs) on a three way switched circuit, I'm removing 6 chain pull light fixtures all fed off the same circuit.
I have 14/2 power coming into the first switch, and I think I need 14/3 to the first fixture, but what do I run between them?
Can I put the other 3 way switch on the last fixture and have it shut off the whole series from there. or does it have to connect into the first fixture too?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
JW

Old 07-05-04, 01:28 PM
J
Received 294 Votes on 253 Posts
Run a 14/2 to the first fixture and run a 14/3 direct from the first switch to the second switch.
power cable
White to the white to the light fixtures.
Black to the common on the 3 way switch

14/3 cable to 2nd switch
white and red to traveller screws
Black to the black to light fixtures.

At 2nd 3way switch
Black to common screw
red and white to traveller screws.

AT all fixtures (use 14/2 between fixtures)
All blacks together
All whites together.

At all fixtures all boxes all grounds together.

Old 07-05-04, 02:07 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There's lots of ways to do this. Joe gave you one. Here are just some of the options. I will use "-" to indicate 14/2, "=" to indicate 14/3, and "#" to indicate 14/2/2.
  1. Power-S1=S2-L1-L2-L3-L4-L5-L6.
  2. Power-S1=S2, and S1-L1-L2-L3-L4-L5-L6.
  3. Power-L1=S1, and L1=S2, and L1-L2-L3-L4-L5-L6.
  4. Power-S1=L1=S2, and L1-L2-L3-L4-L5-L6.
  5. Power-S1=L1#L2#L3#L4#L5#L6=S2.
Do yourself a favor and pick the first one, or at least one of the first two. Joe presented the details for the second one above. If you want the details for some other one, let us know. Please, please, try not to pick the last one.

Old 07-05-04, 02:11 PM
MNToolGuy44
Visiting Guest
Multiple Recessed, three way switches

Won't that cause the bulbs in the down stream canisters to burn dimly?
Also, I'm a little unclear on the connections between the two three ways.

So the line power comes in on 14/2 from the breaker panel to the first switch or light?

At Switch # 1 ----it's 14/2 to first canister light, 14/2 to each successive light, with the Whites and blacks tied off to each other.

From Switch # 1 run a 14/3 to the second switch, with whites and reds to traveler screws and blacks tied off?
Any chance you could diagram that somehow?
Thanks,
jw

Old 07-05-04, 02:26 PM
J
Won't that cause the bulbs in the down stream canisters to burn dimly?
It will if you wire it wrong. But since you came here to ask, you're certainly going to wire it right.

Are you going with Joe's plan? If so, check out this diagram. Then just wire the remaining lights daisy changed (not in series) from the first as Joe described.

Last edited by John Nelson; 07-05-04 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-03-07, 08:08 PM
T
String or loop?

Sorry to rehash an old thread, but I think this is a good one.

I'd like to install 6 recessed light fixtures, controlled by two 3-way switches with the power going through both switches and then on to the fixtures (Situation #1 in John Nelson's first post above). My question is about wiring the 6 fixtures together. I understand that the hot black wire coming into each fixture box should be connected to a pigtail to the fixture and to another black wire to the next fixture. But what happens at the last fixture? A friend of mine had a similar arrangement and he connected his 6 cans in a loop, with fixture #6 connected back to fixture #1. But he hasn't provided a good explanation as to why he did it this way. Anyone else heard of wiring multiple fixtures together in a loop like that? Thanks.

Old 12-04-07, 05:40 AM
R
You really should start a new thread, rather than piggybacking onto a three year old thread.

The only advantage to a loop wiring arrangement is that a single failed connection will allow all lights to keep running. The disadvantages are that you waste wire, and that is a failure does occur you have a potential arcing and heat problem caused by the loose connection.

If I did wire a loop arrangement (for future flexibility) I would intentionally leave one connection open.

Old 12-04-07, 07:13 AM
J
Not code compliant. You are not allowed to parallel conductors under #6 in size. You would have parallel conductors.

Old 12-04-07, 08:00 AM
R
I'm not sure that I would call this non-compliant. You can certainly have a setup where something is controlled by switches from more than one location, such as a vent fan for multiple bathrooms. Each bathroom has a switch that turns the fan on independent of the other switches. Those are all parallel runs.

Old 12-04-07, 02:34 PM
J
With this sort of ring circuit you have two paths for hot and neutral from the first fixture to the sixth fixture. To me that would be parallel conductors.
While not being done to increase amperage allowed it is still parallel conductors.

Old 12-04-07, 06:02 PM
J
In the U.S., parallel conductors are not necessarily illegal. I have no idea about Canada.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: