Ceiling fan light goes on and off. What can I look for?

Old 07-07-04, 12:01 PM
lganci
Visiting Guest
Ceiling fan light goes on and off. What can I look for?

The ceiling fan light goes on and off for no apparent reason. If you hit the light kit, it comes on temporarily. There are no loose connections in the light kit. What else can I look for?

Old 07-07-04, 01:17 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Could be a loose bulb filiment. Are you using fan-rated bulbs, and have you changed them recently, and are they securely screwed in?

Old 07-13-04, 06:38 AM
lganci
Visiting Guest
Hi John,

Thanks, I'll try changing the bulbs and see if that helps. I have checked to see if the bulbs are loose. They aren't. I'll let you know.

Lana

Old 07-15-04, 06:31 AM
lganci
Visiting Guest
Ceiling fan light intermittent

John,

I tried changing the bulbs and it still goes off after a while. If you tap on the light kit it comes back on, but goes off again. Any other suggestions?

The ceiling fan has a four bulb light kit and a night light. The bottom light with the four bulbs seems to be where the problem lies. Can the light kit be going out?

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks!

Lana

Old 07-15-04, 06:44 AM
M
mgb
If it has a pull chain for the lights that could be where your problem is, maybe a bad switch.

Old 07-15-04, 12:08 PM
lganci
Visiting Guest
MBG,

Is there a way to check the switch or should I just try to change it?

Lana

Old 07-15-04, 12:35 PM
M
mgb
You could use a voltmeter but that would require you to stay there until the light went out. Or when it goes out again pull on the chain to see if it comes back on which it might just from the vibration of the chain being pulled. Probably the simplest way would be to shut power off to the fixture then find the feed to the pull chain switch and disconnect it. Then connect it to any one of the other wires coming from the pull chain switch and turn the power back on to see what happens.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: