Converting 3-way to single pole

Old 07-11-04, 10:13 PM
dadamike
Visiting Guest
Converting 3-way to single pole

I have a 3 way switch for my can lights. I only use one of the switches however. I would like to convert the switch that I do use to a single pole in order to use a remote dimmer switch that I have sitting around. I would love to know the way to accomplish this.

Thank you in advance to anyone who may be able to help.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 07-11-04, 11:02 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just use the common wire and either of the other two wires for your dimmer connections (the common is the one attached to the black screw on the 3-way). Cap off the wire you don't use with a wire nut. Then you'll need to set the other 3-way switch to either up or down, whatever works, and leave it that way forever (once you figure out which way it goes, you might want to put a piece of tape over it to prevent people from flipping it). Or, if you prefer, you can remove the other 3-way switch, wire nutting the common wire to one of the other two wires (whichever one makes the dimmer work right), capping off the remaining wire. Then put a blank cover plate on the switch box.

Old 07-12-04, 10:42 PM
dadamike
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

John,

I really appreciate it. I have very limited knowledge in this area but I am reading and trying to learn more and more.

Your instructions were simple and solved my issue. I was able to fix everything in about 5 minutes and I am still alive!

Thanks again,

Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: