basement lighting needs

Old 07-13-04, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
basement lighting needs

i'm in the process of finishing my basement, and I want to double-check and see if my lighting plan sounds sufficient. the room will be mostly used for playing pool and as a home theater/bar, so we're not looking to have it illuminated like yankee stadium on game night.

the room is (more or less) 35' x 15', and i was planning to use 12 cans. if i go 3-4 feet in from the walls and 6'-7' spacing between, that should work out about right. does that sound reasonable?

thanks for any input!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-04, 05:51 PM
It sounds good to me. It is in line with the recommendations by most can lighting manufacturers, and about what I have in my basement. It somewhat depends on the type of bulb (but you can experiment with that), the height of the ceiling, the color of the walls, etc. You might consider dimmer switches for times you want less light. You might want to put different areas of the room on different switches. You can't put them all on one dimmer anyway.

Old 07-13-04, 06:24 PM
re:

thanks john. i feel much more confident about my plan now. i plan to have two separate switches for the theater/bar area and the billiard area, with a dimmer switch on each.

thanks again, especially for such a quick response!