Low Voltage Lighting

Old 07-13-04, 08:11 PM
Frank_N
Visiting Guest
Low Voltage Lighting

I am going to install a flagpole (about 10-12 ft. high) and I want to light it. Instead of trenching 24" across my front lawn, I want to light the flag with low voltage lighting. I have looked at a Kilcher Model #15395AZT 12V 75W fixture. Would this be enough to light my flag? Would 2 of these fixtures be enough?

Are Kilcher low voltage lights better than Malibu lights. I have seen Malibu Lights at the Home Depot but the don't seem to be the same quality.

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Frank

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-04, 08:28 PM
HeidiB
Visiting Guest
Kichler IS better than Malibu

Hi Frank,

We have been working on a major lighting project and just had a 1200watt transformer installed. Our contractor steered us away from Malibu saying that he has had to replace more Malibu products than any other brand.

I'd stick with Kichler, Hadco, Focus or Vista for your top brands. Been researching this stuff for a month and that's what we've been told.

Good luck and god bless America (for the Flag project)

Heidi

Old 07-22-04, 06:23 AM
LightmanE300
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Frank_N
I am going to install a flagpole (about 10-12 ft. high) and I want to light it. Instead of trenching 24" across my front lawn, I want to light the flag with low voltage lighting. I have looked at a Kilcher Model #15395AZT 12V 75W fixture. Would this be enough to light my flag? Would 2 of these fixtures be enough?

Are Kilcher low voltage lights better than Malibu lights. I have seen Malibu Lights at the Home Depot but the don't seem to be the same quality.

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Frank
Frank - I've worked in lighting for over 10 years now, and hope I can help with your cause. First of all, there is a HUGE difference between the low voltage landscape lighting available in home centers, and professional grade landscape lighting. Malibu is total junk, no way around it. Industry folks typically call them 'glare bombs' because that's all they do - light themselves and glare. The idea of professional landscape lighting is to light a pocket of interest such as a flower bed, flag in your case, etc....NOT for your eye to be drawn to the light source itself like Malibu etc.

Between the brands you listed, Kichler is by far the style leader. They have by far more and nicer designs in path lighting, which is typically your only decorative area of landscape lighting..(not too many decorative spot lights ) As far as spot lights and wall washers go, I'd stick with Kichler, Vista, or Focus. My preference again is Kichler, because I've used and installed their products for years and they hold up well. In the case they didn't, Kichler replaced everything without question. Very easy to deal with.

Frank - let me first tell you that you are not selecting the right fixture for lighting the flagpole. Secondly you are thinking about WAAAAY too much light for a 10-12 foot flagpole. The 15395 fixture you selected is a wide flood light. This is good for a very wide beam of light, for instance to light the side of a building. Since I'm guessing you don't want to blind anyone behind this flagpole, thats not the best choice. You didn't list your location so I can't be positive on the best finish, however I would recommend one or two accent lights such as the 15397. That way you have a more concentrated beam of light specifically hitting your flag. If you live anywhere near saltwater I suggest the 15397BR, which is solid brass and is virtually indestructable.

Good luck!