Replace Dimmer switch with regular for ceiling fan

Old 07-15-04, 06:13 AM
JSAKelley
Visiting Guest
Replace Dimmer switch with regular for ceiling fan

I currently have a ceiling fan w/ light in my bedroom and am trying to replace the dimmer switch which controls it with a regular switch. Do I need two switches, one for the light, one for the fan, or can I do it all with one switch?

Old 07-15-04, 06:41 AM
M
mgb
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do you have a seperate switch for the fan now? I'm guessing you only have the dimmer switch to control the light and you're using the pull chain on the fan to control the fan. I'm hoping the dimmer didn't control the fan too as a light dimmer isn't made to operate a fan motor. Just replacing the dimmer with a regular switch will give you what you have now minus the capabillity to dim the light.

Old 07-15-04, 09:14 AM
JSAKelley
Visiting Guest
I believe its a light dimmer, because it controls both the light and the fan speed. The previous owner used it to control both. I can't remember off the top of my head but the wiring is confusing to me to. First there are two white, two black, and if I am remembering correctly a blue one coming out of the dimmer. I'm at work now and can't remember exactly though.. sound familiar?

Old 07-15-04, 09:40 AM
M
mgb
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The 2 white wires(neutrals) should be wirenutted together. Then the 2 black wires should connect to the 2 wires from the dimmer, 1 to each. If this is the case then just loop the ends of the 2 black wires and wrap them around the screws of the new switch, 1 to each screw. Let me how you make out.

Old 07-15-04, 09:56 AM
JSAKelley
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: