Lamp Post

Old 07-15-04, 02:19 PM
Jason McManes
Visiting Guest
Lamp Post

I need to replace a lamp post in my front yard. The old one broke in half. The village that I live in requires that every home have these so I need something quick. I already have the pole. I need to get a sensor and light fixture. The wiring is intact but may need an extension since the pole may be a bit longer than the other. Any ideas on how to mount this in the ground? Should I use cement, and if so should I use conduit or plastic piping to isolate the wiring from the cement. Any plans for this would be useful.

Thanks,

Jason

Old 07-15-04, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
More info please???

Before anyone can give you a decent answer we would need to know a lot more about what you have there.
What is the pole made of and what diameter and thickness, how high was it originally and how long is the stub, what type of fixture........???

You very likely will have to remove the old pipe and start again.
The method of installation will depend on what you buy.

I currently have a 6' piece of 2 1/2" steel pipe with a single post top carriage lamp.
I was just shopping the other day and found a nice 8' three lamp bronze fixture with three lamps. It has a base that needs to be bolted to a flat surface.

Old 07-16-04, 02:52 PM
Jason McManes
Visiting Guest
Lamp Post

Greg,

Thank you for the reply. I have a black lamp post made of steel approx 4 in in diameter. It is about 7 1/2 to 8 feet long. The fixture is a single light with what looks like a normal lamp hook up. (?) I need to also install a sensor. The village says it must come on at dark. My biggest issue is not, so much, how to wire it but how to affix it in the ground: i.e. cement or whatever. Also if I decide to use cement should I use some king of conduit and what kind? I.E. flexible, ridgid etc. I was thinking Mounting the lamp post in the ground using cement and running the wire through conduit, the conduit through the cement and into the pole. I thought this may make it easier if for some reason I may have to re-wire the pole at a later date. Any recomendation would be helpful. Also are ther any preferred ways of making sure the pole stays level, straight up and down. I would hate to cement the pole in at an ackward angle.

Oh yeah I forgot. I have already removed the old lamp post. It pretty much just broke in half. Any suggestion on digging around the wire if I decide to use cement?

Thank You,

Jason

Last edited by Jason McManes; 07-16-04 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Forgot
Old 07-16-04, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
Jason,

There are many different ways to do this.
What I did was to not cement mine in case I had to do some repairs on my well casing which is close by.

I dug a three foot hole and packed about four inches of gravel on the bottom.
I then put the pipe in the hole and marked where the wire would run into the side of the pole beneath the ground.
I put the wire in a piece of conduit where it rose above the minimum burial height to enter the pole and then drilled a hole big enough for the conduit to pass through the pipe below grade.
Mine has been up for five years and is still standing straight.

I just used a piece of steel pipe from a scrap pile and refinished it but what you do will depend on what you buy.

Old 07-18-04, 05:03 AM
Jason McManes
Visiting Guest
Lamp Post

Greg,

Thank you for the advice. That would be much easier than using cement. Any particular gauge of gravel? Did you just have someone hold the pole straight as you fill in the hole? Or was there any extra reinforcement to keep the post straight other than dirt? Also. Is there a standard height that these should be out of the ground. I.E. 5 1/2 to 6 feet? What size conduit did you use and was it flexible or ridgid? Sorry for all the questions. I am not much of an electrician.

Thanks Again,

Jason

Old 07-18-04, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
You don't really even need gravel for a steel pole.
Coarse gravel is often placed at the base of wooden poles to allow some drainage of moisture.
Have someone hold the pole straight while you backfill the hole.
I would put in a few shovels of dirt at a time and then use a piece of 2x4 to pack it.

I would have the lamp no lower than 6 feet and possibly higher if you want to illuminate a wider area.

I used a 3' piece of 1/2" pvc flexible conduit. It started where the wire came up to the height of the opening and just stuck it into the pole about 2" to prevent the wire from chafing on the edge of the opening.
The wire then came right up to the top of the pole to connect to the photocell I mounted at the top.

If you have a pole mounted photocell make sure it faces North to prevent premature failure from the sunlight.

Old 07-18-04, 08:18 PM
Jason McManes
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Lamp Post

Greg,

Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated.

Thanks Again,

Jason

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: