Need a new ballast for an old Fluorescent


Old 07-17-04, 07:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Need a new ballast for an old Fluorescent

I have an old four 48" bulb fluorescent fixture that needs a new ballast. I know that I could purchase a new unit for less than I may pay for the ballast, but I like this one. I would like to know if I can get a "newer", more energy efficient, ballast that will work with the F48 bulb sockets. It is the two pin sockets.

Thanks in advance,
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-04, 07:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
First things first, a new ballast will require new bulbs. An F40T12 (which is most likely what you have) and an F32T8 (same 48" length but not as fat) are not interchangable. Now then, both lamps are a two pin end, so the existing ends will work, but, being the "tombstone" ends only cost a couple of bucks for a set, why not replace them with the ballast and lamps? Then, give the lens a good wipedown with a damp cloth and you have a virtually new fixture.
Old 07-22-04, 04:18 AM
mgb is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 136
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Put in an electronic ballast for T8 lamps, you shouldn't have to change the sockets.
Old 07-22-04, 05:41 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Red face

Thank you, gentlemen. I will go with the F32T8 bulbs and an electronic ballast. Might as well replace the sockets and clean and paint the fixture. Good to go for many more years!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: