Ceiling fan wiring

Old 07-19-04, 10:59 AM
hoont
Visiting Guest
Ceiling fan wiring

I apologize in advance to the experts out there... but I have yet another simple ceiling fan wiring question... I've removed an old ceiling fan and switch (two wire). I installed a new fan and Hunter switch that controls both the light and the fan. I've replaced the two wire with a three wire (red, white, black and ground) feed from the switch to the fan.

Now the easy part... well not for me... The power comes in is to the cieling fan... I reconnected everything as it was with the old ceiling fan ( except the red wire which is new) :

white switch to the black power
black switch to the black fan
white fan to the white power
red wire from the switch to the blue wire on the fan

Turned on the power and obviously I've done something wrong. The fan is operable but the light only works when the fan is on high speed..... Somehow the light is not getting enough power... I'm assuming the blue/red connection is incorrect... but I'm not positive. What is the proper blue/red wire configuration?

Thanks in advance,

John

Old 07-19-04, 01:34 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, you told us what you did with the red wire at the fan, but what did you do with the red wire at other end, at the switch? Please detail all the connections in the switch box.

Old 07-19-04, 02:33 PM
hoont
Visiting Guest
The switch just has a red, black, and white wire. So I'ved connected black to black, white to white, red to red and ground to the ground terminal on the switch.

John

Old 07-19-04, 05:18 PM
J
Is this a 3-way switch? A dimmer? A 3-way dimmer? If a 3-way, is there another 3-way in the room too?

Old 07-19-04, 06:04 PM
hoont
Visiting Guest
The switch is a Hunter ceiling fan/light switch specifically for ceiling fans to control the fan (off/low/medium/high) and a dimmer for the light. The switch includes the three wires: white, black and red. This is the only switch in the rom... and there are no other wires in the box at the switch....

Thanks,

John

Old 07-19-04, 06:20 PM
J
Please provide the model number of the Hunter wall control.

Old 07-19-04, 08:57 PM
hoont
Visiting Guest
The Hunter switch is model number 27182. http://www.hunterfan.com/prodSum.php...e=acc&sType=10

Thanks! John

Old 07-19-04, 09:52 PM
J
I don't have the wiring diagram for that control. Can you tell me what the instructions say about how to hook it up? Which of the wires is the power input, which is the light control and which is the fan control? You should have connected white from your cable to the power input, black from your cable to the fan control, and red from your cable to the light control. Is that what you did?

Old 07-20-04, 06:35 AM
hoont
Visiting Guest
Correct, the switch indicates Black to Power, Blue (I initially said white is incorrect) to fan, and red to light.

So I've connected black wire from the switch to the black wire from the fan, white wire from the switch to black wire from the power, red wire from the switch to blue wire from the fan and finally the white wire from the fan is connected to white wire from the power.

Thanks,

John

Old 07-20-04, 07:29 AM
J
The connections at the ceiling are fine. I'm more interested in the connections at the wall switch.

If the switch instructions say that you should connect the black switch wire to the power, then you must connect it to the white wire coming down from the fan, since that is the power feed.

Old 07-20-04, 10:41 AM
hoont
Visiting Guest
Sounds like I've got it wrong at the wall switch... I currently have the black wire from the wall switch connected to the black wire on the fan.

I'll connect the black wire from the wall switch to the white wire from the fan.. but that will the leave the black wire from the fan not connected to anything.....

Thanks for hanging in there with me...

Old 07-20-04, 12:48 PM
J
You need all three wires connected. Reread my earlier post. It tells you want to do.

I told you, "You should have connected white from your cable to the power input, black from your cable to the fan control, and red from your cable to the light control."

You told me, "the switch indicates Black to Power, Blue to fan, and red to light."

Putting these two statements together yields the answer. At your wall box, you should connect the white wire in the cable to the black wire from the control unit (the power), the black wire from the cable to the blue wire on the control unit (the fan), and the red wire from the cable to the red wire on the control unit (the light).

Old 07-20-04, 07:21 PM
hoont
Visiting Guest
...again, I apologize for being a novice at this... I made the connections... drew it out to review and make sure I could make some sense of it and then turned the breaker on.... and Presto!!! You are right on!

I don't totally get it.... but I do see where it makes some sense.... I think (and quit laughing) its the wire colors that throws me off... wouldn't it be great if a) schematics made sense and b) color coated wires were the same? I know, they probably are standard but logically I just haven't "got it" yet... I work with computers for a living so sometimes (okay, a lot of the times) things that don't logically make sense to me... I just don't get... electricity is definitely one of those things.

Thanks so much for your help and hanging in... I'm going to finish it up and move on to my next project (thank goodness its not electrical in nature).... Thanks again

John

Old 07-20-04, 08:49 PM
J
The problem with wire colors is that we normally work with just three colors for a hundred different purposes. That naturally requires some compromises.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: