ceiling fan installation

Old 07-23-04, 08:45 AM
namveteran
Visiting Guest
ceiling fan installation

I want to install a ceiling fan in my living room from stratch. There is no previous light fixture or ceiling fan mount. My problem is wiring. I need to splice into a wire from my attic. How do I determine which wire to splice into? I am not concerned about wall switches. I am content to just using the pull chains for the fan and lights.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-04, 09:25 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You are wiser than most to ask this question. The cardinal rule before splicing into any cable is to know exactly where that cable is coming from and going to. Here are some pitfalls (i.e., cables you do not want to splice into):
  • Any 240-volt cable. You'll usually recognize these because they are fatter (although not necessarily), and/or they are going to a cooking appliance, dryer, air conditioner, water heater, etc.
  • Any 12/3 or 14/3 cable. You'll usually recognize because they are more round than flat. One in a hundred of these cables might be suitable, but not likely. They are either traveler cables, multiwire circuits, or something else that makes them undesirable.
  • Any cable traveling between a switch and the thing that the switch controls. These are either a switch loop (no neutral) or switched power.
  • Any cable on a circuit serving a receptacle in a kitchen, laundry room, bathroom, or dining room. Code doesn't allow tapping into these circuits.
So this usually leaves you with cables coming directly from the panel, or cables going from one receptacle to another receptacle (although these cables more often than not run in the walls, not the attic).

Once you've found a cable that is not on the list above, then figure out what circuit it is on, and see what else is on that circuit. Add up the wattages. If it seems like a lot, pick another cable. You want to make sure that adding your fan is not going to overload the circuit.

If all this fails, there is always the option of adding a new circuit. It's probably not as hard as you think.

Many times, the cable you choose won't have much slack in it. This is okay, but in order to get some slack, you'll probably need to add two junction boxes a few feet apart and add a new piece of cable between them. Don't try to make splices without enough slack or the splices will eventually pull apart. And make all splices in permanently accessible junction boxes.

Post back for more help as your project progresses.

Old 07-27-04, 08:52 AM
namveteran
Visiting Guest
I have 2 kinds of cable running through my attic: a round cable labled Thermo Triex Type NM with ground 600v and a flat cable labled Nargransett NAREX 14/2 with ground type NM 600v. It appears that most of the round cables run across the attic and down into the walls while the flat cable seems to be connected to junction boxes in a series. The junction boxes I physically checked have 3 cables running in and out of them (i.e. one line to a hall chandalier light in the hallway, one to the attic light switch and one to another junction box on the other side of the attic and so forth. So after all the research I have learned about the electric cables I am still stumped as to if I can splice into a cable to install a ceiling fan junction box. If so, how do I determine which one. Is it possible to splice into the small line that runs from a junction box to the single light switch? If not, what are my alternatives, if any. [/QUOTE]

Old 07-27-04, 07:38 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry, but I don't know quite what else to tell you.