Green, Black, White and Blue - What to do?

Old 07-24-04, 09:01 PM
waddellx
Visiting Guest
Green, Black, White and Blue - What to do?

Please Help. I'm installing a ceiling fan with light in my basement. One wall switch controls all the lights in the basement. I don't mind the one switch controlling the fan as well.

The ceiling fixture has two cables coming into it each with red/white/black and bare wires. One from the wall switch and the other going to the other lights. The ceiling fixture had two white wires (one from each cable) connected to one post and two red wires (one from each cable) connected to the other post. In the box the two black wires (one from each cable) are connected together and the two bare wires (one from each cable) are connected together. The fan has 1 green, 1 blue, 1 black and 1 white wire coming from it.

At the wall switch, two cables come into the box. The first from the breaker and the second to the ceiling fixture. The first cable has white/black/bare wires and the second has red/white/black/bare wires. The black wire from the first cable is connected to the top switch post with the red wire from the second cable. The black wire from the second cable is connected to the bottom post of the switch. The two white wires (one from each cable) are connected together. The two bare wires (one from each cable) are connected to a screw in the box and another bare wire comes from the screw to the ground screw on the switch.

How do I wire my fan to the ceiling box?

Old 07-24-04, 11:08 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You have two options. For both options, leave the switch wiring alone.

(1) To make the wall switch control the fan motor and fan light as one, connect:
  • Black and blue wires from the fan to both red wires from the ceiling.
  • White wire from the fan to both white wires from the ceiling.
  • Green wire from the fan to both bare wires in the ceiling.

Or

(2) To make the wall switch control only the fan light, and use the pull chains to control the fan motor (whether or not the wall switch is on):
  • Blue wire from the fan to both red wires from the ceiling.
  • Black wire from the fan to both black wires from the ceiling.
  • White wire from the fan to both white wires from the ceiling.
  • Green wire from the fan to both bare wires in the ceiling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: