New fixture doesn't work, old one does

Old 07-25-04, 04:58 PM
scottp
Visiting Guest
New fixture doesn't work, old one does

I removed a ceiling ceramic single socket light fixture with two wires to two screws, one white wire to one screw and one black wire to the other. There was a black/white pair not connected to anything screwed together and stashed in the socket as well. The socket is controlled by 2 3 way switches. I removed the ceramic fitting and put in a new one...... wired it black to white on the light fixture and black to white in the ceiling then crossed the wires and screwed them in tight with plastic light screws. I went down to the breaker, turned it on and it refused to turn on.

I then went back and reinstalled the old fixture exactly the way I saw it originally, figuriing there might have been a short in the wiring, expecting that the old fixture too would not work.

Only it did work.

What did I do wrong with the new fixture wiring? It is a new polished brass Hampton Bay 5.25" Acorn. The box says to be careful about 60 degree wiring (house was built prior to 1985) and that this fixture need 90 degree wiring.
The directions referred to a ground screw wire that did not exist.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-04, 07:31 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wired it black to white on the light fixture and black to white in the ceiling then crossed the wires and screwed them in tight with plastic light screws
I can't make sense of this. What does "wired it black to white" mean. Is there some reason you don't connect the new fixture exactly as the old fixture was wired? You should have left the black and white wires connected together alone, and connected black to black and white to white of the remaining two wires.

Old 07-29-04, 04:42 PM
scottp
Visiting Guest
You were right. It works now.