Porch light fixture

Old 07-29-04, 07:49 AM
Tom Thompson
Visiting Guest
Porch light fixture

I was replacing the light fixture on the front porch of my double wide and unfortunately didn't mark the wires. My memory of how it was hooked up was apparently wrong, as the circuit breaker would pop when I turned on the light switch. There are 4 sets of wires coming in to the round fixture box. All have a white, black and plain copper ground wire. All the grounds were twisted together and I thought all the blacks were twisted together with all the whites twisted together except one which the light fixture white was twisted with it. I have found the bundle that is hot by attaching my new fixture to them one at a time. the others must go to the ceiling fan and light switches on the inside. Help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-04, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This problem has been reported here hundreds of times. Unfortunately, this job is a hundred times harder when you don't have a good record of how it was connected before.

One set of wires is the power feed. One set is the switch loop. The other two sets are carrying power elsewhere. The first step is to figure out which is which. The only thing really important is to figure out which set of wires is the switch loop. This can be done with an ohmmeter with the power off. Do you own a multimeter?

Old 07-29-04, 09:12 AM
Tom Thompson
Visiting Guest
No. I think by taking the light switch out of the wall, it is close enough to see which one is going where. I am going to work now, so I'll have to check this when I get home tonight. Thanks.

Old 07-29-04, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unless you have x-ray vision, you can't be sure of which cable comes from the switch. Consider picking up a multimeter at the home center on your way home from work. Or hire somebody who already has one.