Want to convert POT light to base fixture for ceiling Fan

Old 07-29-04, 04:23 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Want to convert POT light to base fixture for ceiling Fan

I have a HIGH ceiling in my second to third floor walk up and the ceiling of this walkup is two POT LIGHTS , on either end of hallway ( about 9 feet in length). Both are activated by wall switch up and down.
I want to convert one of these pot lights to a ceiling fan ( with Light)., and strings/and chains for activating fan/reverse/lights/ .
The Wall fixture could feed all the power to fixture as a whole. This potlight is currently 12 feet from floor, compared to only 8 feet for the other Potlight that will not be changed. This light is at the top of the stairs and the one I want to change is at the top of the second to third landing.
There will be plenty of space for Fan Blades to turn.

Is this an easy project to do? You just pull out the existing Potlight and get the right base at a Home depot??

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-04, 04:40 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The pot light is easy enough to remove. Most people don't realize that the can can be removed from below. However, the can is held up with some rinky dink brackets that won't come anywhere close to supporting the weight of the fan. Fortunately you can buy a fan brace kit. The next problem will be that the hole in the ceiling will be too big. Again, fortunately they sell medallions that will go around the smaller ceiling fan box and cover the larger hole. It's not all that hard.