help with old wiring

Old 07-31-04, 06:25 PM
BenSki
Visiting Guest
help with old wiring

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to all of this, but I'm having trouble with some knob & tube wiring in an old house that we just bought. Basically, we were trying to replace a kitchen ceiling light with an updated one. We took the old one out, and (stupidly) did not mark which wires go to which. So now we have a new fixture which I just installed. The light works, except that it does not turn off. It is a three-way switch (two light switches for one fixture) and there are a total of four wires coming out of the box. Two come out of one tube and two come out of the other. One tube has a white and black wire (labelled by an electrician), and the other tube's wires are unlabelled. I hooked the white wire from the light to the white in the ceiling, and I did the black the same way. I hooked the ground wire to one of the wires coming out of the second tube and left the last wire unconnected. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-04, 09:11 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You have a switch loop. This problem is reported here all the time. You can use the search button above to search for "switch loop" for as much reading as you want. Or you can look at this thread to give you a few ideas to start with.