New Ceiling Light...Please Help!

Old 08-02-04, 08:39 AM
Woodsy
Visiting Guest
New Ceiling Light...Please Help!

I am wanting to install a ceiling light on the first floor of a two story home in a room which currently does not have one. There is a wall switch that currently controls power to a wall outlet in this room that I would like to use to control the light.

I was thinking about running the romex from the ceiling between the floor joist over to the wall and actually putting the romex behind the crown molding ( I am remodeling and have a portion of the crown molding down and thought this could be an option) and then down the length of the room about 6 feet and behind the sheet rock to the outlet. Am I thinking correctly about this? Will this be a safe installation?

I could use some help in correctly wiring the light into the switch.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-04, 12:03 PM
J
Received 236 Votes on 207 Posts
Since the romex will be within 1.25 inches of the surface of the crown molding you will need to protect it to prevent it from being pieced by nails or screws.

Old 08-03-04, 02:05 PM
Woodsy
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the warning. I'll be sure and be careful when nailing.
My primary question relates to whether I'm thinking correctly about how I could put this ceiling light in. Is there a better solution, etc.?

Thanks again.

Old 08-03-04, 06:27 PM
J
Received 236 Votes on 207 Posts
Being careful is not good enough. You must protect it.
Your solution is acceptable if the wire is protected.

Old 08-05-04, 05:17 PM
Zel
Visiting Guest
I'm new here, and also I'm only just an apprentice. But anyway...... IF IT WERE ME....
My thoughts would focus on installing it according to code. And as stated, the concern would be to have the wire protected. According to the NEC there are certain approved methods for doing this. And just hiding it behind moulding and being careful is not "legally" enough.
I mean, I just can't see taking ANY risk when you and your family will be living there. I'm probably being VERY OVERLY CAUTIOUS...... but that's just my opinion.
(Exactly how far in length will it be running behind the moulding anyway?)

-Zel