One switch for all lights?

Old 08-02-04, 05:42 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb One switch for all lights?

Hi,

I have about 4-5 lights in my basement. You turn them all on, except one, with individual switches.
I wanted to know if there was any way I could connect all of these lights to one main switch at the top of the basement steps?
I have no idea how to wire things to a main breaker box - but I have changed light switches, wired a light, and wired outlets (from existing wires).... so I know about that much.

Not much....

Thanks for any help!!
jon

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-04, 06:37 PM
How many switches are used on the lights?Are all the switches in one box? For example if there are 4 switches {all in the same box} & 5 lights chances are good they are fed by the same breaker but using different switch legs.If the location where you want to use the switch has only one switch you will need to run a line from the fixture powered by that switch to the next fixture and from there to the next & so on {daisy chained,jumped}.Before doing this you must disconnect all the other switches for the other fixtures & cap off the wires,don't cut them you may want to use them for another purpose.

Old 08-02-04, 08:26 PM
J
Almost anything is possible with enough wire. It sounds like you are tired of walking downstairs to turn off the light.

Let's say you have four switches in the basement. To be able to turn them all off from the top of the stairs, you'd need four switches there, one corresponding to each switch in the basement.

Another option is to have a master cutoff at the top of the stairs. But if that switch was off, none of the switches in the basement would be able to turn on the lights.

Yet another option is to use some smart technology such as X10. This would allow you to have one master cutoff at the top of the stairs, but still be able to use the switches in the basement.

It's going to be difficult to walk you through this in any detail without seeing the setup. But you could start by identifying which option sounds the best to you.

Old 08-03-04, 04:32 AM
J
Okay.... I wasn't 100% clear from the start on this.
There is one switch at the top, it turns on one light.
The other 4 lights are turned on with pull chains. i.e. there is a string hanging from the light, you pull that to turn it on and off.
I would like to have one switch at the top of the stairs that turns all the lights on and off simultaneously.
I am sure I could figure out the daisy chain method - I would just need some advice/direction before I start that.... possibly a diagram?
Any further ideas?
Thanks for the help!
jon

Old 08-03-04, 06:46 AM
J
All you need to do is to disconnect the pull-chain lights from the wires they are currently connected to (but don't disconnect the wires in the boxes from each other). Then run a new cable from the existing switched light to the other lights, one after the other. Then connect the lights to the new cable. This is pretty simple.