Funny Smell From Lights

Reply

  #1  
Old 08-04-04, 04:09 AM
kathie1101
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Funny Smell From Lights

This is going to sound weird, but when we moved into our house a few months ago we noticed that when the bedroom light was turned on we could smell what I can only describe as a horrible fishy smell coming from it. We would turn the light off and the smell would eventually go. Since then I haven't used the bedroom light, but then yesterday I turned a light on in the living room (which has previously been on without any smell) and within a few minutes the horrible fishy smell was filling my living room.

My other half is good with most things round the house but this has really got him stumped. I thought about calling an electrician, but thought I would sound totally stupid cos how can lights cause a fish smell.

If anyone has any clue as to what could be causing this horrid smell I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers

Kathie
 
  #2  
Old 08-04-04, 05:51 PM
J
Member
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: welland ontario
Posts: 7,733
Received 300 Votes on 257 Posts
What is above the light? Is it an attic? Could it possibley be mice or other animals leaving there "stuff" or bodies behind above or in the light's junction box?
 
  #3  
Old 08-05-04, 02:24 AM
kathie1101
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Yes above the bedroom there is an attic, so I will have to get my other half to check it out, but above the living room there is only another bedroom (which doesn't have the smell) and what seems even more strange is that there are 3 lights in the living room - but it is only 2 of them that the smell comes from.

Kathie
 
  #4  
Old 08-05-04, 06:21 PM
Zel
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Are the fishy lights all on the same breaker??? It could be melted wiring, but it would smell more like burning plastic that fishy! Are they regular lights for flourescent?
 
  #5  
Old 08-05-04, 06:30 PM
J
Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just one drop of some foreign substance on or near the heat of an incandescent bulb is enough to smell up the whole house. Eventually it all burns off, but it can take quite a while. There are no electrical odors that I've ever heard described as a fish smell.
 
  #6  
Old 08-17-04, 01:46 AM
graino
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
graino

We had the same problem in Spain. First it was only one light, but slowly they all became fishy. Our local electrician told us that the type of plastic used in the fittings was reacting to either heat or the metal screw of the bulb or both.
We changed all of the fittings for ceramic ones and the problem was cured.
Hope this is of some help.
 
  #7  
Old 09-07-04, 02:55 PM
kathie1101
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thank you Graino for your help. We couldn't get any ceramic fittings, but we got some new plastic ones and have changed one of them so far. The light has been on for over an hour now and there is no smell. It is wonderful not to have my house smelling of fish or not having to sit in the dark lol!

Thank you very much

Kathie (not sat in the dark lol!)
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: