Lighting help needed

Old 08-07-04, 07:06 AM
stephanie50
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Lighting help needed

I have a breezeway with a pitched roof that connects my new addition to the old part of the house.

The probelms is, it is so dark and hot, the owners installed a mini fan with two touch light fixtures on either side - one which doesn't work. I am only 5'2" and cannot reach this stupid touch light - it doesn't turn on with any switch!

My guess is, I could remove both of these usueless lights, cover the exposed wires, shove them back into the hole, leave the fan in place and add Solartubes ot either side of the slanted walls for additional light. Can that be done? Or should I just replace the lights with better fixtures and figure out how to get a switch to turn them on?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-04, 11:58 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I suggest you have these lights wired to a pair of 3-way switches, one at each end of the breezeway. And then replace the touch lights with regular lights.

Be careful about just pushing wires back into the wall. If not done properly, it can be a safety hazard.

Old 08-08-04, 12:19 PM
stephanie50
Visiting Guest
Lighting problems

What are three-way switches and can I wire them myself? I have changed out bad light switches and electrical plugs in the past.

Old 08-08-04, 12:48 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you want to do your own wiring, I suggest you visit your public library or home center and pick up a few books on home wiring. The books will explain what's involved.

Another possibiltity that would be much simpler to wire is simply to replace the fixtures with motion/photocell activated fixtures. Now that I think of it, this seems the better idea.