3 way light switch

Old 08-08-04, 08:28 PM
Cantfigureitout
Visiting Guest
Question 3 way light switch

I am in the process of installing new light switches throughout my house. So far everything has worked fine, except for this one switch. Before I changed this switch out is was working. There's no difference between the switches that I'm changing except for the color. When I removed the wiring from the old switch, I was careful to mark the wires so that I could install them correctly in the same place on the new switch. This switch shares the same ground as another switch within the same case. The ground is black. The other two wires are red and black. The other switch in the case is working fine. I have another switch in the house that is the same that I've changed and it is working fine. I even checked it to see if I could wire this switch that I'm having problems with the same way, but it didn't work. I can't seem to figure this out. It seems so simple. Any help would be great. Thanks.

AJ

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-04, 06:59 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I was careful to mark the wires so that I could install them correctly in the same place on the new switch.
"Same place" is not necessarily same electrical function. Closely compare the old switch with the new switch. Look for the black colored screw on each switch. The wire that was on the black screw on the old switch must be on the black screw on the new switch.

The ground is black.
If you are in North America, the ground is never black. Treating a black wire as ground is often fatal. I suggest you consider experienced help.