Fitting a new light in my house

Old 08-11-04, 07:35 AM
Nile
Visiting Guest
Fitting a new light in my house

Help fitting a new light please!

I live in the UK and i am having a problem working out which of 4 pairs of red and black wires i should connect to the new ceiling light housing.

I have 4 pairs of wires coming from my ceiling. Each pair includes a black wire and a red one. I tried one pair and now none of the ceiling lights in the house work except for the new one. In fact the one i fitted can't actually be switched off now.

Should i just keep trying the different pairs till every thing works?

Thanks in advance,

Nile

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-04, 12:20 PM
J
Received 236 Votes on 207 Posts
One of those pairs is going to be the switch. You need to figure that out and then you can connect it up. If you connect the switch wires wrong you will blow the fuse/breaker.

Old 08-16-04, 07:09 AM
Nile
Visiting Guest
Thanks for you response.

I am going to try and test the wires today. A friend said that maybe i should test each of the black wires to see if for any reason one is live. If it is i am supposed to separate it from the rest and then put the other three into a terminal block with one wire coming out. Does that sound right?!?

Thanks again,

Nile

Old 08-16-04, 11:58 AM
J
Received 236 Votes on 207 Posts
This is UK wiring. I am in Canada and the wiring can be very different since you use ring circuits. I suspect what you have is power in, power out to some other fixtures, and a switch loop. Only the power in circuit will be live. You need to determine which wires go to the other fixtures and which go to the switch. If there is a ring circuit involved then I am am totally lost as to what you will need to do.