Simple move of light switch

Old 08-13-04, 11:27 AM
Cossack
Visiting Guest
Simple move of light switch

I found this question mentioned in a prior post, but I need a step by step procedure. I need to move a light switch along my wall about five feet. Most books show how to install a new switch, but I just want to move this one. I do not have much slack in the existing wire.

I have very little knowledge of electrical, but I have enough common sense to turn the power off before I do this.

Thank in advance.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-04, 11:38 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you are willing to leave the existing box there and put a cover plate over it, then the job is as simple as running a new cable from the old box to the new box.

If you actually want or need to remove the existing box (perhaps because the wall is going away), then you'll need to do more. Exactly what depends on how many cables come into the box, and which direction they come from.

Start by telling us how many cables come into the box (shut off the breaker and pull the switch out of the box without disconnecting the wires). Then tell us whether there is an accessible attic above the room. And then tell us whether the walls are open or closed.

Old 08-15-04, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Knowing to turn off the power is a good start.

The next question is "What does the switch control?"