Hampton Bay Wall Mount Wireless Remote

Old 08-15-04, 04:45 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hampton Bay Wall Mount Wireless Remote

Greetings,

I'm trying to achieve independant use of the fan and light from the wall switch, but the wiring to the ceiling fan is only black/white/copper. So, I purchased a Hampton Bay Wall Mount Wireless Remote to replace the single switch that controls the ceiling fan/light.

My question is... When I remove the single switch, I assume that I have to tie the two black wires that were once attached to the switch together to keep power flowing to the fan/light?

I'd really rather not use this wireless solution if I don't have to, but what are my options?

Thanks,
Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-04, 06:06 PM
J
Check out the Hunter 27186. It costs $40, but I think you'll like it.

Old 08-15-04, 09:16 PM
X
Originally Posted by John Nelson
Check out the Hunter 27186. It costs $40, but I think you'll like it.
That Hunter looks nicer than the one I bought, and it is only $10 more. Do you know if it is battery operated? And would I need to tie the two black wires together that I removed from the switch for this model?

Thanks,
Brian

Old 08-16-04, 06:27 AM
J
It is a wall mount, installing in the same place the wall switch was and using the same wires that the wall switch used. It does not use batteries. It comes in two pieces, one installed on the wall and one installed at the fan.

Old 08-17-04, 07:04 PM
X
Originally Posted by John Nelson
It is a wall mount, installing in the same place the wall switch was and using the same wires that the wall switch used. It does not use batteries. It comes in two pieces, one installed on the wall and one installed at the fan.
I liked the Hunter model better so I exchanged mine for it. The Hunter model does indeed use a 12V battery at the wall switch in addition to the standard switch wiring. I'm going to wait to install it until after I find the correct battery for it.

On a side note, I was thinking about the possibility of wiring for a duplex switch and wanted to know if this sounds right. If I get ambitious and decide to fish a new 3 wire either along side, or in the place of the current two wire, then all I'll need to do is buy a duplex switch and run the hot to the switch and then on the other side connect one black and one red to the indivudial switches and wire the fan accordingly. Does this sound about right, or am I oversimplifying?

Thanks for all your help.

Brian