Dimmer...

Old 08-16-04, 01:06 AM
novsun88
Visiting Guest
Dimmer...

Alright I have a celing fan, and on it it has lights.. On my swich.. there are only two wires... There both yellow.. never seen that before.. But I was wondering how To Install A Dim switch to dim the lights.. I really dont need to have a variable fan maybe later but not at this point.. is the fan just set up like this..? Please help. I'm not an expert..
-Sean

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-04, 05:30 AM
M
mgb
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So I take it you have seperate switches for the fan and light? The dimmer can only be used for the lights. The 2 wires that were connected to your old switch, connect one to one of the yellow wires and the other to the other yellow wire. If there is a ground wire on the switch be sure to connect that to the ground wires in the box.

Old 08-16-04, 08:23 AM
novsun88
Visiting Guest
no thats the problem.. its one switch... with two yellow wires

Old 08-16-04, 10:10 AM
M
mgb
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does the one switch turn on the light and the fan? If so you can't install a dimmer as it's not rated for motors. If you use the pull chain for the fan even when the wall switch is off then you can use the dimmer for the light. Connect it like I said in my previous post. I hope I have answered your question. Keep me posted.

Old 08-16-04, 02:25 PM
novsun88
Visiting Guest
yeah light swich has to be on to pul either cord for fan or light.. so either im guna rewire the lights if i can figure that out or else just trash the project... and put a couple track lights in hahah thank you
-Sean