Convert Hardwire Light to Plug In?

Old 08-16-04, 06:50 PM
thanksforhelp
Visiting Guest
Question Convert Hardwire Light to Plug In?

I did read thru the threads and found a similar question, but the answer was not clear. I have a light that should be hardwired. I want to convert it to a plug in type lamp. I too bought a swag kit that has an additional "slide switch" to add to the cord.

My problem is that the light fixture has a white wire, a black wire and a ground wire. The kit plug wire has tWo copper looking wires that look identical.

What do I attach to what and how? And do I attach it way inside the lamp (that has a bunch of knots and multiple wires) or do I attach it just beyond the knots so I only have the 3 wires to contend with (white, black and ground).

Thanks very much. This is my first posting and I'd like to do this on my own without my husband or his "friends" help!!!!!

Old 08-17-04, 08:15 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The two wires are nearly identical, but not identical. Look closely. One of the two wires has a small ridge, or a small stripe on it. This is the one that connects to the white wire. The wire without the ridge or stripe attaches to the black wire.

Old 08-18-04, 07:12 AM
thanksforhelp
Visiting Guest
Don't see it.

Thanks for replying. I do not see the difference. The swag light kit wires are just two twisted copper wires. I do not see any mark or bump to distinguish them. Let me ask another way:

If I have a white wire and a black wire and I want to attach a plug to the end. The plug has a one wide and one narrow blade. The black wires will go on one side and the white would go on the other -- which do I attach to where? I guess what I'm asking is what is bringing the power in and what is bringing the power out? The black one or the white one and with the plug, which one does what?

I dont' want to burn the house down! I'm starting to think I should just forget it altogether!

Old 08-18-04, 02:45 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The black wire goes to the narrow blade, and the white wire goes to the wide blade.

This is alternating current. There isn't really an "in" and "out".

Old 09-22-04, 09:34 PM
subgirl
Visiting Guest
What do you do with the ground wire when doing this project?

Old 09-23-04, 07:15 AM
J
Received 300 Votes on 257 Posts
Is this swag kit designed for this light or is just a general swag kit you are attempting to attach to normally ceiling mounted fixture?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: