Ceiling fan shadow problem

Old 08-18-04, 07:51 AM
Dean-o
Visiting Guest
Ceiling fan shadow problem

I recently installed a ceiling fan to a 14" ceiling.
There are 4 can lights on the ceiling behind the fan blades.
I installed a 24 " downrod to the fan.
The problem is this:
When the fan and the lights are on, we see the fan blade shadows throughout the room.
Anybody know of a solution short of turning the lights off?
It is currently a 50" blade span.
Thanks for whatever help is offerred.
Dean-o

Old 08-18-04, 11:15 AM
J
Received 518 Upvotes on 423 Posts
The only soution I can think off is clear fan blades and I'm not even sure that would work.

Old 08-18-04, 11:56 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A longer downrod might help (although I'm already unclear as to how you used a 24-inch downrod in a room with only a 14-inch ceiling ). Most fan manufacturers have a table recommending certain length downrods for certain height ceilings. I think you should go at least three feet if not more. You'll get better air flow that way too.

Old 08-18-04, 01:47 PM
Dean-o
Visiting Guest
ceiling fan shadow problem

Thanks for the suggestion. Where I bought the fan came the 24 inch downrod suggestion. I found the chart you referred to and I should have used 48", for the 14 foot ceiling.
Do you feel a longer downrod might solve the problem?

Last edited by Dean-o; 08-18-04 at 01:51 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 08-18-04, 01:51 PM
rlrct
Visiting Guest
We have a similar situation in our sunroom - 14' ceiling, fan on a 4' or 5' downrod. If the recessed lights over the fan are on while the fan is running you get rotating shadows.

Lowering the fan will help. The only way you prevent the shadows is don't turn those lights on.

Old 08-19-04, 04:36 PM
Dean-o
Visiting Guest
Ceiling Fan Shadows from can lights

I'm still trying to determine if I've found a solution to the problem I have with shadows from my ceiling fan when both the fan and lights are on.
It has already been determined that I used the wrong length downrod on the fixture, I used a 24" rod and should have used a 36" or 48" downrod because we have a 14 foot ceiling.
Has anybody had the experience of lengthing a downrod and eliminated or significantly reduced the shadow problem?
Appreciate any input.
Thanks

Old 08-20-04, 10:13 AM
rlrct
Visiting Guest
If you have lights over a set of rotating blades, you will get moving shadows.

You can't change that.

Dropping the fan will reduce the spread of the shadows to a smaller area the lower you drop the fan.

The only way to not have moving shadows is to not have a light on over the fan when the fan is running. It's really as simple as that. I can tell you from experience in our house that's the way it is.

If my wife is trying to read when the fan is on, we don't turn on the 1 set of lights that's directly over the fan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: