New Ceiling Fan Trouble

Old 08-20-04, 09:10 AM
Sabresqdn1
Visiting Guest
New Ceiling Fan Trouble

Dear Experts,

I have a ceiling fan issue. I live in a 7 yr old townhouse. I have properly installed ceiling fans in other homes but this is where it becomes tricky.

I have a single switch on the wall to activater either a light(never installed by the previous owner) or for what I think for a ceiling fan.

Anyway, I removed the switch plate and noticed the several colored wires with caps pushed back in the power box? 2 white wires w/ caps, 1 red wire w/ a cap , and a single black wire plugged into the top rear of the electrical switch. On the left side of the switch is a bare copper wire connected to the switch. The right side where the 2 screws are have nothing connected to them.

Next, The ceiling has a green wire, a black wire, a red wire with a cap, a bare copper wire not connected to anything.

The ceiling fan has a green wire, a black wire, a black w/ white striped wire, and a white wire.

I understand that the two black wires are probably, one for the light attached and the other for the fan speed control?

Please give me help??????? By the numbers(Barney style) and I would be greatly appreciative! I'm on active duty in the Marine Corps, stationed at the Pentagon and am trying my best to hold onto what little money I earn to support my wife and kids. Thanks for your help.

Semper Fidelis(Always Faithful in Latin),
Gunny Rott

Old 08-20-04, 09:25 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
So are you saying that nothing is connected to the switch itself except one black wire and one bare wire??? Is the bare wire connected to a green screw??? And there is one and only one black wire in the switch box???

Are you also saying that there is no white wire at the ceiling box?? Look again. That can't be right.

Is the ceiling box metal or plastic?

Please check the switch box and ceiling box again more carefully. Several things you reported seem improbable.

Old 08-20-04, 10:01 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
You didn't say anything about a white wire in the ceiling box. You must have a white or you can't hook up the fan/light.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: