ceiling fan question

Old 08-19-04, 01:00 PM
speedrcr
Visiting Guest
ceiling fan question

I have an existing ceiling fan that no longer works. I bought a new fan and had an electrician come by to install. He said the fan I bought could not be installed because the circuit is 'constant hot'. It has a wall-switch that controls the TV, so it is always in the 'on' position. The existing Hunter ceiling fan has a remote, the new fas had a wall mounted control. He said I need to get a different type of fan - one with a pull chain and no remote, no wall mount. Is that correct? Is it definitely not possible to have a remote (there is one there now)? I ask because the ceiling is vaulted and would require a really long chain to turn off/on. I need to get this soon but am not sure what to look for in a new fan now. Any advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-04, 01:21 PM
Light4u2
Visiting Guest
What the electrician is saying is that the power is always present at the fan. The remote control you currently have provides the signal to turn the fan on and off. The fan you bought needs to have a wall switch. There are no wires to a wall switch currently thus you need a fan with a pull chain or another fan that is operated by a remote. That is your cheapest solution however you can have an electrician to pull a wire to and install a switch. Not sure how difficult or pricey that could be on a vaulted ceiling. Try "X10" They might have a solution. x10.com

Old 08-19-04, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can install this fan if you don't use the wall switch that came with it (just keep the switch you have now) and if you buy and install an add-on remote control kit for about $40. The Hunter All-Fan is one such kit (actually the name "All-Fan" is used for a family of products, so buy the right one).