recessed lighting question

Old 08-20-04, 02:45 PM
heulefam
Visiting Guest
Question recessed lighting question

We just installed recessed lighting as part of a kitchen remodel, but we can't seem to get the light bulbs in to the cans. When we do, they are way to high in the can, and the trim is below the light bulb. Does this make sense? I know that the bulbs are supposed to be even with the trim. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this problem? Thanks for you time!

Old 08-20-04, 04:59 PM
FireSong
Visiting Guest
Every recessed can I've seen has a wingnut in it. When you remove the bulb look up into it and you should see. Loosening the wingnut will allow you to raise and lower the top half of the housing. If the bulbs are too far up into the can then loosen the nut and let the housing lower.

Old 08-20-04, 06:03 PM
heulefam
Visiting Guest
Actually, I did try that, but I can't lower it any further, because then it hits the trim. Thanks on that though. It also seems as though the socket plate is a little crooked once you put the trim on. Any other ideas?
Thanks again!

Old 08-23-04, 09:38 AM
heulefam
Visiting Guest
anyone else have an idea? Please help!

Old 08-23-04, 09:58 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I don't understand how the bracket that holds the bulb can hit the trim and yet the bulb itself is still way too high. I can't picture this.

Old 08-23-04, 10:12 AM
heulefam
Visiting Guest
ok, well the socket plate has a piece that sticks down that the wing nut is on. That piece hits the trim, so we can't lower that any more. Does that help you picture it better?

Old 08-23-04, 11:54 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
recessed light trim

Some trims are designed that way so that the bulb sits deep into the cone that way it would not cause a glare when you are looking up towards the ceiling. You dont want to see the bulb directly.

Question: is it a 'reflective' or 'baffled' or 'open' trim. different trims are designed for different bulbs.

deep Coned, Reflective trims are designed for a standard A19 incandescent bulb.

'open' trims should be mated with a spot/flood bulbs (par30 or 38) to be visually flush with the ceiling.

find out which bulb would best suit the trim you have.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: