Ceiling Fan Buzz/Hum...

Old 08-23-04, 11:41 AM
vwjohn
Visiting Guest
Question Hunter Ceiling Fan buzz/wiring problem

I have a problem with buzz/hum coming from a ceiling fan in a new home.

At first I thought it was the fan itself, so I replaced it yesterday and I still have the buzz.

It buzzes with the light on & off.

The outlet box is wired with black, white, red & ground wires. Per the fan installation instructions the red wire is not used.

The fan has a remote control but in order for the fan/light to operate I have to have the wall switch in the ON postion. The strange thing is that I have the identical fan in another room and it does not require the wall switch on.

Could there be a problem with the house wiring? This is a brand new house just completed.

Last edited by vwjohn; 08-23-04 at 12:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-04, 05:59 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it on a dimmer or on/off switch?

Old 08-26-04, 09:10 AM
vwjohn
Visiting Guest
It's just a standard on/off wall switch.

Old 08-26-04, 11:55 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I doubt that it's a wiring problem. But it might be. Perhaps you wired the fan in series with something and it's getting low voltage. Does the ceiling box have one and only one wire of each color? Did a DIYer or a professional run the cable to the ceiling box?

Is it a good quality fan? It's possible that the manufacturer has quality problems?

Old 08-26-04, 04:45 PM
vwjohn
Visiting Guest
The fan is a Hunter. It's the Ergonomic model available at Home Depot for $189. I also had a Hunter Chantilly model that buzzed installed before this one. I replaced that one thinking it was the fan that buzzed, but the new one does the same thing. Both are remote controlled with no pull chains. I spoke to Hunter tech support and they say the light switch should be in the ON position which has me wondering why the same model fan in the other room works without the switch turned ON. They had on answer other then it could be direct wired, but as far as I can recall I wired it per the instructions.

The wiring one wire of each color only. Black, White, Red & Ground.
The wiring was done by the builder as this is a new house less then 3 months old. There are 2 wall switches for the ceiling box.

I wired the fan per the installation instruction. I don't have them in front of me now, but I did not use the Red wire from the ceiling box as directed. The others were wired black to black, white to white etc...