Adding wall sconces to the inside of an exterior wall?

Old 08-24-04, 05:46 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Adding wall sconces to the inside of an exterior wall?

Hello,

I'd like to add 2 wall sconces to my dining room's west wall. This is an exterior 2x4 wall and is full of insulation. The house is 3 years old, but I don't know if there is fire blocking between the studs or not. There are currently no sconces on the wall, but there are 2 outlets. The outlets are placed so that I'd like to have the sconces almost directly above the outlets. I'm thinking it might not be too hard to get power from the outlets up to the sconces, but I also want the sconces on a single switch, which means running a horizontal wire between the 2 sconces, right? The ideal place for the switch is on the north wall, but I'd settle for the west wall if needed. There is a full basement underneath the room.

Am I going to be able to have these sconces installed as described? (I'd hire a professional to do it.) I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Last edited by Indiana627; 08-24-04 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Better title.
Old 08-24-04, 07:17 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes and yes to the two questions you asked. Although that "horizontal wire" can certainly go down to the basement, over, and back up again.

Old 08-24-04, 09:41 AM
I
Received 4 Upvotes on 3 Posts
John,

Thanks for the reponse. How would the "horizontal wire" (I take it there is a more technical name for this but I don't know what it is) be run in the existing wall? The sconces will be about 5-6' apart and this wire would have to go through at least 2-3 studs. I'm curious as to how this would be done. Thanks again!

Mark

Old 08-24-04, 01:13 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Approach #1: Remove a strip of drywall between the two sconces, run the wire by boring holes in the middle of the studs, and then repair the drywall.

Approach #2: Go down to the basement and drill holes through the subfloor and bottom plate into the wall cavity under each sconce. Then feed each end of a cable through the holes.

There are probably a bunch of other feasible approaches too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: