Wires from Ceiling Fan too short for Downrod

Old 08-24-04, 08:05 PM
foxlobe
Visiting Guest
Arrow Wires from Ceiling Fan too short for Downrod

Hi all,

I purchased a ceiling fan and a 36 inch downrod... but the wires that come out of the fan are too short to fit all the way through. I bought a handy dandy downrod wire extension kit to solve the problem, but on the back it says in real big letters: "Do not make electrical connections inside your downrod." And it goes on to say it is against most Electrical Codes to make a wire connection within a wire conduit.

The downrod connects right where the wires come out of the fan, so there is no way I can see to avoid making the connection inside the downrod short of taking the motor apart...

So now what? Should I try to take the motor apart and splice my wires together in there? Is it really that big of a deal to make my connections inside the downrod?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-04, 07:44 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think you need to buy a different fan. Every fan I've seen comes with wires long enough to go through a 36" downrod. I don't know why the fan that you have doesn't.

What brand of fan is this anyway?

Old 08-26-04, 09:50 AM
foxlobe
Visiting Guest
Hi John,

It's a Westinghouse fan, Corsica model, bought at Target. I contacted Westinghouse's customer support who put me through to manufacturing and was told that all of their fans available through Target have shorter wires to cut down on cost. The wires on mine were 26 inches.

I was also told they sell their own downrod wire extension kits and have been doing so for years for this exact purpose, and that their kits contain no warnings about connections made inside a downrod being against electrical code... seems fishy to me. But anything is safe as long as I use enough electrical tape, right?

Oh well, I guess that's what I get for buying a fan at Target.

Old 08-26-04, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Go to home depot or Lowes and just get some wire solderless terminals and put the wire together with them . you dont need tape. Ask for butt connector's

ED