Hunter ceiling fan and new 3-way switches

Old 08-25-04, 09:10 PM
boat32
Visiting Guest
Hunter ceiling fan and new 3-way switches

My Hunter fan/light combo stopped working last week. It operates via a remote control and there are no pull switches, etc. The original config included one 3-way switch and a dimmer switch. I assumed that the dimmer switch went bad so decided to swap it out for a new 3-way switch. While I was at it I decided to swap out the other old 3-way. Let's say the old dimmer was in Switch Box 2 and the original 3-way was in Switch Box 1. After removing both original switches I tested the wires. I fould the hot wire in Switch Box 1 and no other hot wires. I connected the hot wire in Switch Box 1 to the Common terminal of the new 3-way and then connected the other two traveler wires. I then tested for power at Switch Box 2. I found one hot wire. I connected that hot wire to the Common terminal of the second new 3-way followed by the other traveler wires. I probed the 2 switches and toggled them and both seem fine electrically. BUT, I get no power to the fan. I even put a brand new 9v battery in the Hunter remote. What could the problem be? Any way to use a probe to test for power at the fan without taking it down? I can remove the cover where the fluorescent light is and remove it. It has a 4-pronged plug. I tried every combo I can think of with the probes but cannot register and juice. Any trick to this?
Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-04, 09:28 AM
J
Received 238 Votes on 209 Posts
The hot wire at the 2nd switch was probably one of the travellers. Flip the 1st switch and see if a different wire goes hot. That will be the 2nd traveller.

Old 08-26-04, 01:42 PM
boat32
Visiting Guest
problem solved!

It turns out that the receiver inside the fan was bad. Hunter is shipping out a new one!