Single light switch controls fan and porch light

Old 08-27-04, 07:28 AM
aintgotaclue
Visiting Guest
Question Single light switch controls fan and porch light

Here's my dilemma. I had a ceiling fan installed on a covered in porch and it works wonderfully. However, the ceiling fan and porch light are controlled by a single switch on the wall right inside the door. So when I turn the fan on the porch light comes on too. The porch light is really not needed in the middle of the day.

What I would prefer is a double or more switches to control the porch light, fan, and ceiling fan light. Is there some way this can be done without having to rewire the porch?

Old 08-27-04, 08:22 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I recommend the Hunter 27186 wall control. It allows separate control of a fan's light and motor with only one power feed to the fan. It gives you dimming control of the light and speed control of the fan too. It costs about $40.

The alternative solution involving two ordinary switches would require you to replace the cable between the switch box and the ceiling box with a cable with one more wire.

Another possibility is an add-on remote control.

Or you could just use the pull chain to turn the light off when you don't need it.

Old 08-27-04, 02:19 PM
J
Received 518 Upvotes on 423 Posts
They probably picked up the power for the fan from the porch light. If there is a power feed in the light fixture and not just switched power from the switch then the above solution will work. Otherwise you will need to do some rewiring.

Old 08-27-04, 02:31 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Joe, I'm not sure which of the four solutions I presented you are referring to. I am under the impression that any of the four solutions will work whichever way it is wired.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: