Single light switch controls fan and porch light

Old 08-27-04, 07:28 AM
aintgotaclue
Visiting Guest
Question Single light switch controls fan and porch light

Here's my dilemma. I had a ceiling fan installed on a covered in porch and it works wonderfully. However, the ceiling fan and porch light are controlled by a single switch on the wall right inside the door. So when I turn the fan on the porch light comes on too. The porch light is really not needed in the middle of the day.

What I would prefer is a double or more switches to control the porch light, fan, and ceiling fan light. Is there some way this can be done without having to rewire the porch?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-04, 08:22 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I recommend the Hunter 27186 wall control. It allows separate control of a fan's light and motor with only one power feed to the fan. It gives you dimming control of the light and speed control of the fan too. It costs about $40.

The alternative solution involving two ordinary switches would require you to replace the cable between the switch box and the ceiling box with a cable with one more wire.

Another possibility is an add-on remote control.

Or you could just use the pull chain to turn the light off when you don't need it.

Old 08-27-04, 02:19 PM
J
Received 236 Votes on 207 Posts
They probably picked up the power for the fan from the porch light. If there is a power feed in the light fixture and not just switched power from the switch then the above solution will work. Otherwise you will need to do some rewiring.

Old 08-27-04, 02:31 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Joe, I'm not sure which of the four solutions I presented you are referring to. I am under the impression that any of the four solutions will work whichever way it is wired.