Light Fixture wiring problem

Old 09-15-04, 01:15 PM
Bond
Visiting Guest
Question Light Fixture wiring problem

I am trying to connect a light fixture but I could not make it work correctly.
I have 2 sets of 3 wires (black, white, and green) coming from the ceiling through the junction box. My new light fixture has just one light bulb with one set of wires. I tried to connect black with blacks, white with whites and green with greens.

When I turn the circuit braker on (and the switch is off) the bulb light is on. When I turned off the switch the circuit braker goes off. I used a voltage tester and one set of wires (black is hot, white neutral, and green ground) works right. The other set is not responding at all with the test.

Please help I need to have some light soon.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-04, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
These exact symptoms have been reported here literally hundreds of times before, and they point to one very specific problem.

What was there before, and how was it connected? If there was something there before, and if you had connected the new fixture the same as the old one, this would have been easy (lecture, hopefully mild).

Unfortunately, the two cables are not interchangeable. One is a power feed, and one is the switch loop. You need some sort of electrical tester ($2 neon circuit tester, or a voltmeter) to tell them apart. Do you have such a tester?

Once you identify which cable is which, the fix is trivial.

Old 09-15-04, 02:15 PM
Bond
Visiting Guest
Light Fixture wiring problem

Yes I have the tester.

When I turn the circuit braker on just one set of wires has power and the black is the hot wire. The other set did not work at all.

It will trivial for you the answer but how can I test the other wires to find out which is the hot wire?

I used to have a ceiling fan there and the only difference was that the ground wire from the fan was attached with a screw to the metal support to the junction box.

Old 09-15-04, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Okay, we're ready now.

Connect the power cable black wire to the other cable white wire. Neither of these wires connects to the fixture in any way. Simply push the wire nut into the back of the box. Then connect the remaining black wire (from the other cable) to the black wire from your fixture, and the remaining white wire (from the power cable) to the white wire from your fixture. Connect all the grounding wires together, and then you're done! Turn the breaker back on and enjoy the light.

I don't think you accurately remember how the fan was connected.

Old 09-16-04, 11:06 AM
Bond
Visiting Guest
John,

Thank you so much. The light fixture is working great!
You were absolutly right. I reviewed my notes and I found out that I made a mistake with the draw.

Cheers.