flourescent to incandescent conversion

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-04, 02:32 PM
larryw
Visiting Guest

I'm trying to convert a bathroom recessed (in a can) flourescent light to an incandescent light. The voltage measures 125VAC at the socket so I simply replaced the flourescent socket in the can with an incandescent socket. Now the incandescent light bulb is very dim. Any suggestions why it's so dim?

larryw

Old 09-15-04, 02:54 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Did this fixture use a compact fluorescent? Or was there some other kind of fluorescent bulb? What did the fluorescent "socket" look like before you took it out? Did you have to cut wires to replace the socket? Is there still a ballast in the picture? Is there a dimmer in the picture?

Old 09-15-04, 03:18 PM
larryw
Visiting Guest
Flourescent to incandescent conversion

Yes, it's a compact flourescent with two prongs that plugged (pushed) straight into the socket. Yes, I cut the two wires and used wire nuts to connect the black to black and white to white wires of the incandescent socket. I don't see a ballast inside the can, unless it's outside the can in the attic. There are only two wires coming into the can. No, there is no dimmer.

larryw

Old 09-15-04, 03:24 PM
J
I don't know, but I'm thinking there's probably a ballast that is messing this up.

Old 09-15-04, 03:32 PM
larryw
Visiting Guest

The voltage is still 125VAC. Could a ballast show that voltage and still not light up a 65 watt incandescent bulb?

larryw

Old 09-16-04, 07:36 AM
J
Remove the can so that you can get a better look. Even though it may appear at first that the can cannot be removed without damage, the can can.

Old 09-16-04, 06:42 PM
J
Received 300 Votes on 257 Posts
If you had a socket with 2 prongs then there is most likely a ballast. If there wasn't a ballast then there would have been a normal screw in socket.

Measuring the voltage with no load attached doesn't mean to much.

Old 09-18-04, 05:51 PM
larryw
Visiting Guest

I finally got back to this project and removed the can and found a connection in the box for a ballast. I took it out of the circuit and my incandescent bulb works just fine now.

Thanks for the help!

larryw

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: