ceiling fan question

Old 09-19-04, 11:51 AM
ConnieW
Visiting Guest
ceiling fan question

Existing ceiling fan had no light and was controlled by single wall switch. Removing it, there was red, white, black and green wire. The new fan will have no light. I connected the white to white, black to black, green to green. The instructions said to connect the black and blue to the house black. I still have a red wire from the ceiling. The instructions don't mention a red wire. Am I missing something?

Old 09-19-04, 04:48 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The big question is: "How was the old fan connected?"

The second big question is: "What happens with the way you have it connected now?"

If this is wired according to common convention, then you should connect the black from your fan to the red in the ceiling. Then just cap off and isolate the black from the ceiling. Also cap off and isolate the blue from the fan.

If you know the answers to the two big questions, then we can give you the right answer whether or not the ceiling is wired according to common conventions. Also, I'm assuming you want the wall switch to control the fan, but I'd like you to confirm that assumption.

Old 09-20-04, 05:20 AM
ConnieW
Visiting Guest
Not sure how old the fan is. Could be as much as 10 years. Nothing has happened yet, wary about turning on the juice. Yes, the light switch will control the fan.

Old 09-20-04, 09:31 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Since you did not address my first big question, I will assume that you don't know. So just give my previous guess a try.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: