Installing Celing fan speed/dimmer switch?

Old 09-19-04, 03:34 PM
elmerito25
Visiting Guest
Installing Celing fan speed/dimmer switch?

Hi DIYers ...

I just replace the light fixture with a Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan w/ Light in our master bedroom. Right now, it is being controlled by a single switch on the wall. Flipping the switch to ON turns on the fan and the light. I also grab this $20 Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan and Light Wall Control and I'm planning to replace the wall switch with this switch.

It has 4 wires, Top Black (AC in L), Top Blue (For Light), bottom black (to Motor L) and green (ground).

The wall switch has 3 NM 14/2 cable. 2 cables coming from the top (TOP1 and TOP2) and third coming from the bottom (BOT)

TOP1 white, TOP2 white and BOT white connected together by wire nut.

TOP1 ground, TOP2 ground and BOT ground pigtailed together and one ground wire comes out and is connected to the side of the switch.

TOP1 black directly connected to the top of the switch.

TOP2 black and BOT black pigtailed together and one black wire comes out and connected to the bottom of the switch.

The ceiling has 3 wires, black, white and ground.
The fan/light has 4 wires, black, blue, white and green.

I connected the fan's black and blue to black, white to white and green to ground.

Any suggestion on how to handle this setup ?

Thanks in advance.
elmerito25

Old 09-19-04, 04:18 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You bought the wrong remote. You bought one that requires three wires to the ceiling (not counting the grounding wire). You need to buy the one that only requires two wires. It costs about $40 instead of $20. The Hunter 27186 is my recommendation.

Or return the remote and just control the fan motor and fan light with the same switch, using the pull chains to differentiate.

Old 09-20-04, 10:12 AM
elmerito25
Visiting Guest
thanks John.

I'll stop by at home depot today and pickup that switch.

elmerito25

Old 09-24-04, 01:54 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hi,

I saw this post and I was wondering if there is any way to install this in a dual switch plate. In other words my current fan on/off switch is in a duplex switch. It looks like that controller goes in a GFI type plate cover. I don't think make combo GFI/switch cover plates do they?

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: