pot lights in series?

Old 09-25-04, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pot lights in series?

Hello:

I want to know if I can run pot lights in series safely? I have a switch that controls 2 pot lights in a row. My lights work fine but I am wondering if this a hazard. I have no concern with insulation or heat build up but a friend told me that pots were not meant to be installed in continuously (2 or more on one switch and I think this means in series)???. thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-04, 08:41 PM
Yes, you can very safely run the cabling from one pot light to the next. There is no limit, other than the limit of the wattage on the circuit. Using 60 watt bulbs in each fixture, there would be no problem with one 15-amp switch controlling up to 30 fixtures, or one 20-amp switch controlling up to 40 fixtures.

I don't know if this is your issue or not, but the markings on recessed fixture boxes talk about how many wires you can connect in the junction box. But it is worded in such a way that many, many people misinterpret this to be limiting how many fixtures can be controlled by the same switch.

By the way, I know what you mean by "series", but nothing in your house is really connected in electrical series. Many people use the word "series" to simply mean that the cable runs from A to B to C to D etc. But that's not really "series".

Find out if you can where your friend got this mistaken impression. I'm curious.

Old 09-27-04, 08:08 AM
series continued

Hello again: As I said in my first post, my lights have been working fine. I have gone over ever word in the instruction booklet of the pot lights and there is one line that says "not to be wired in series" (so again I am not really sure what this means because I thought that electricity is really in series as you had explained in your reply...A to B to C ect?. Since this is in the manual, should I have, one switch for each light, instead of one switch that currently controls both lights?..........When I spoke to my friend he really meant having the lights too close together because he thought this would cause a heat problem (so he used series as the wrong word)...........

Old 09-27-04, 08:42 AM
I have no idea why they would say "not to be wired in series". I guess I'd need to see the larger context to see what their intent was. Did they also say "not to be wired with dental floss"? That would be equally as silly as wiring the cans in electrical series.

Old 09-28-04, 08:09 AM
manual

Hi again: These pot lights are Edison ET5000 75W par 30 7-1/4 inch open trim. The entire manual talks about installation but one sentence in bold underneath the warning about turning off the power before you install these lights says in big letters ......these lights are not to be installed in series.......My lights are working fine and I do not understand why this says this, but I think I am ging to leave them!

Old 09-28-04, 05:56 PM
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
If you wired the light correctly they are in parallel. You don't have a problem.

Old 09-28-04, 06:34 PM
no problems

Hi there: the lights are wired correctly and they are perfect for the drop ceiling I have in the room, so I am leaving them just the way they are............thanks so much, you guys are great!